Snohomish County Pedestrian Accidents Lawyers Working to Get Victims the Settlements They Deserve
There are many beautiful places to walk in Snohomish County, from pleasant woodland trails to the bustling sidewalks of Seattle. Still, any time a walk brings a pedestrian near traffic, there is the potential for tragedy. As vehicles have gotten bigger and people have begun to drive faster, the risk for severe injuries or death from pedestrian accidents has increased. Even walking through a parking lot to a store can be dangerous. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, a personal injury lawyer can help you get the compensation you need to regain your life.
How Can You Stay Safe While Walking?
Walking is a healthy, fun way to see a city or get some exercise in your own neighborhood. Sadly, there can be unexpected dangers to walking near a street or highway. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 7,000 pedestrians were killed in a vehicle-involved accident in 2020, and more than 100,000 pedestrians had to be treated in the ER for their accident injuries.
While drivers are responsible for remaining attentive, following posted speed limits, and avoiding driving while under the influence of alcohol, not every driver follows these rules. To increase your chances of staying safe on your walks, you should take these proactive steps to help protect yourself:
- Wear bright, reflective clothing or use a flashlight at night.
- Use crosswalks when needing to cross the road.
- Stay off roadways and on designated walking paths as much as possible to avoid traffic.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, including the sounds around you.
- Do not walk while impaired by alcohol or medications because it can dangerously dull your reactions.
Why is It Important to Seek a Medical Evaluation After a Pedestrian Accident?
The human body is no match for a vehicle that weighs over 3000lbs and is built to withstand violent impacts at high speed. An immediate medical evaluation is necessary even if you feel you only have minor injuries following your pedestrian accident. It is possible to be seriously injured and not realize it at the time due to your body’s fight or flight response being triggered by the incident. Injuries to the neck and back are notorious for worsening as time passes because the damaged tissues begin to swell.
Besides protecting your health, a timely medical examination is crucial to your pedestrian accident claim. It provides proof of your injuries and definitively links them to your accident. After the initial doctor visit, be sure to keep any further scheduled appointments and closely follow your treatment plan. Failure to follow the doctor’s orders can give the insurance company room to claim that you did not do everything in your power to get better.
What Compensation Can Be Sought by Pedestrian Accident Victims?
Your injuries from a pedestrian accident can be painful and life-altering. A pedestrian accident lawyer can help you negotiate a settlement or file a lawsuit that seeks compensation for the many losses you’ve already suffered from your accident and any that you may have in the future. The damages which may be awarded in a pedestrian accident case include:
- Economic damages: These offset actual financial losses that occurred due to your accident, including lost wages, emergency room bills, surgery and rehab expenses, costs for transportation to and from appointments, loss of future earning capacity, and more.
- Non-economic damages: While some losses, such as medical bills, are easy to show, others are less tangible. A skilled lawyer can help calculate the value of the non-economic losses you’ve sustained, including pain and suffering, mental anguish, and scarring and disfigurement.
- Punitive damages: If your case ends up in court, these damages may be assessed by the judge if the defendant is found to be grossly negligent or willfully malicious in the actions which caused your injury.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer?
All too often, the driver’s insurance company will offer you a low initial settlement, or they may even try to blame you for the accident. This can be very disheartening when you are suffering through the aftermath of a crash. A pedestrian accident lawyer will thoroughly investigate your accident and fight to get you the full compensation you deserve for the injuries and other losses you’ve suffered. As a skilled negotiator, your lawyer will speak with the insurance company on your behalf, removing you from this stressful situation. This provides you with the time and space you need to heal. For a free consultation with one of our experienced pedestrian lawyers, call Elsner Law Firm, PLLC today at 206-447-1425.