Snohomish County Truck Accidents Lawyers Fighting for Fair Compensation for Victims
Semi-trucks are a critical part of this nation’s infrastructure, with nearly 70% of the country’s goods reaching their destinations by truck. Unfortunately, truck drivers often face pressure from trucking companies to deliver their loads faster, sometimes leading to tragic accidents. Sadly, victims of truck accidents frequently find it challenging to recover fair compensation because of the complexity of the cases, which can involve multiple at-fault entities. However, it is not necessary to face this fight alone. An experienced truck accident lawyer from Elsner Law Firm, PLLC can act on your behalf, removing the stress and hassle involved with the settlement process.
How Should You Respond to a Truck Accident?
Some truck accidents are so destructive that victims require immediate medical attention. Call 911 if there are injuries and follow the directions of emergency responders. If you are not transported to the emergency room, and it is safe to remain in the vicinity of the crash, these are some steps you can take which could prove critical to your claim:
- Contact the police to get them on the scene to file an accident report.
- Get the truck driver’s information, including their name, the tractor-trailer number, the trucking company’s name, and their insurance information.
- Write down the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any eyewitnesses.
- Take as many photos of the accident scene as possible from different angles.
- Call a truck accident lawyer who can advise you on further necessary actions.
- Never discuss fault with witnesses, police, or others after an accident, and do not make any statements to the insurance company without consulting a lawyer first. If you misspeak, these statements could later be used as evidence against your truck accident lawsuit.
What Injuries Can Victims Suffer During a Truck Accident?
A large truck is defined as any vehicle with a gross weight rating above 10,000 pounds, while an average passenger car weighs between 3000 and 4000 pounds. This size discrepancy can lead to devastating injuries as the heavy truck transfers its mass to the much smaller vehicle. Some of the injuries caused by these violent impacts can include:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Back and neck injuries
- Crush injuries
- Lacerations and contusions
- Severed limbs
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Wrongful death
Regardless of the accident’s severity, you should always get evaluated by a medical professional as soon as possible. The adrenaline your body produces during a crash can mask symptoms of significant injuries. Not every injury is physical, either. Survivors of truck crashes could suffer trauma-related mental health issues such as anxiety, nightmares, and PTSD.
What Compensation Could Be Available to Truck Crash Victims?
A truck accident can be life-changing. A fair settlement must consider all your losses and any impacts you will continue to experience from your injuries in the future. Three main categories of damages can be awarded in a truck accident case: economic, non-economic, and punitive. Economic damages are financial losses caused by the accident, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property repair and replacement
- Accessibility modifications to your home and vehicle
Non-economic damages compensate victims for the less tangible physical, mental, and emotional effects of the crash, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
A judge may award punitive damages if a case goes to trial. These damages may be granted if the defendant’s actions are found to be willfully malicious or show wanton recklessness.
Why Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Trucking companies must carry comprehensive insurance policies on their fleet because semi-trucks are costly, and their loads are often quite valuable. Due to the increased potential for expensive claims for accident damages, the insurance companies that insure them employ teams of lawyers to protect their interests.
Elsner Law Firm, PLLC can help level the playing field for you, so you can get the compensation you deserve. We will negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf and pursue litigation when necessary, allowing you to focus on your recovery and healing without the stress of worrying about bills or long phone calls with insurance adjusters. Contact us today at 206-447-1425 for a free, no-obligation consultation.